Remembering my past, I sometimes actually wish I was educated at home. For many years I'd been suffering from bullying, and that wasn't a nice experience indeed. Only when I switched schools for the second time, I finally found the friendly environment I'd been in search of. But let's not go into detail as it's not what I want to write about today. My topic is home education, which is almost never practiced in my country, but as I heard, gaining more and more popularity elsewhere.
 |
| © Sylvain Masson |
When I think of my future and the kids I may have (or may not - you never know), I like the idea of teaching them at home. Maybe not until high school or university, but at least during the primary school period. That way not only could I get to know them better and make strong bonds, but also provide a better way of learning, based on their strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes. The school system is inevitably shaped for mediocrities and while some teachers can be really nice and all, their main concern is not to actually educate children, but to make them get the best results during the exams. I don't approve. When teaching at home, parents can pay more time to the subjects their child won't understand, and also to the ones he really enjoys and is interested in. They can incorporate several subjects, visit museums and art galleries, and are free to travel anytime. Isn't that just great?
Some argue that a homeschooled child will lack the ability to integrate into the society and interact with others. Why would you think so? There are many places to meet other children and socialise, and being home educated doesn't mean children have to spend their all time at home. Even many researches show that homeshooled people become an active part of the community. People also maintain that parents aren't always the best teachers - they might not understand certain subjects themselves or be not able to explain them clearly. To my mind, if they want their children to get the best education possible, they will do their best. And there is always an option to cooperate with other parents!
To boil it down, we're all personalities and we're all different, that's why home based learning can be the best choice for many. That's my opinion, yet I'd love to discuss!
Hope your day went well (or at least better than mine),
Not a British Girl
0 comments:
Post a Comment